Thursday, December 31, 2009

Judging A Book By It's Cover: Rising Shadow

First of all, have a happy New Year! I hope it's fun and safe for all of you.

Here's the cover I'm judging today:


The cover feels...lazy. Like the cover artist just decided to throw on the title, author name, and a few other things along with some eyes. I'd also call it odd. But, there are certain aspects of the cover that I do like; the title font color and the eye color matching, the tag line...that's it. Definitely not my kind of cover.

Now that we've judged it, here's what it's about:

Ashlyn Woods just transferred to one of the most beautiful campuses on the west coast, where she can't wait to start her life over as a normal college student. But her plans take an unexpected turn when she discovers that she is a Soterian: a person who develops amazing powers when the balance of good and evil shifts too far in evil's favor. Soon she and the other Soterians are studying martial arts and learning to use their powers to prevent California from being plunged into chaos. But they quickly discover that they're up against a much more dangerous enemy than they anticipated. And when Ashlyn meets Kai, a devastatingly gorgeous guitar player, she realizes she must sacrifice more than she ever imagined.

I'm looking forward to reading Rising Shadow...I just wish it had a different cover.

8 comments:

  1. oOooo it does sound better than it's cover! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it does sound much better then the cover! It doesn't LOOK like a book I'd pick up, but it sounds like it! And I hadn't heard of this one yet. Shoot another to the TBR...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, as well. The cover looks like something I could slap together on photoshop...not worthy of the actual novel. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. adding another book to my wish list... Glad you told about this one, I don't know if I would have picked it up.

    Happy New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it just me who thinks the character's name sounds like a place? Random. I agree the cover lacks interest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I'm in the minority here, I thought the cover was very intriguing. I liked the intensity of the eyes and the black. Sounds like a great read too. Looking forward to the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the review! I really appreciate the feedback. I did design the cover myself (you caught me!), and although I like a lot of its elements, I agree that it needs more polish. I just hired an amazing cover designer to do the cover of the second book in the series, Merger. I can't wait to see it! And we'll probably go back and redesign Rising Shadow's cover as well. Would you review Merger's cover when it's done? Thanks again--your blog is great!

    Cheers,
    Jacquelyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. People said that we shouldn't judge the book by its cover.
    But I just did.
    When I look at the cover, I have no interest in even knowing what its about.
    So, I agree with you that it should have a different cover.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.