Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Waiting On Wednesday (30)

This week I'm waiting on:

Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky


In the year 2060, everything is done digitally. Kids no longer go to schools. They stay home and take classes online. Adults work from home, too. Even dating is no longer done in person. Why walk on a real beach when you can stroll down a digitally remastered one instead? No bad weather, no seagulls, nothing real to ruin a perfectly fine time.

Though she's grown up in this digital world, something about being cut off from everyone doesn't sit right with seventeen-year-old Madeline. Her favorite activity--the only one she does off line--is soccer. She likes the physicality of it and the comradery with the other girls.

Then she meets Justin. He, too, prefers life off line. It's all he talks about. He even takes her out to a real coffee shop and an underground club. Maybe it's his attentiveness, or the physical closeness of actually being with someone, or just that he's very good looking, Madie is definitely drawn to him. But there's also something very aloof about him, like perhaps he's hiding something.

When Madie uncovers the truth, she's faced with the question: What's more important, fighting for what you believe in or love?
Coming May 23 2011 from Houghton Mifflin Books For Children

This one sounds a little bit like that Bruce Willis movie, Surrogates, which was pretty good. This is just one of the many dystopias coming out in 2011, so it looks like it will another excellent year for books!


http://www.mylivesignature.com/signatures/85705/bergquistorama/7a79d124891e43155b9d4b2ccb5c72df.png

7 comments:

  1. Already on wishlist. I love the premise of this one, and am digging the whole dystopia thing going on with the 'elevensies'. Love it!

    What I'm waiting on this week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for putting this on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time I've seen this book! Thanks for posting about it, I'm putting in on my TBR list. Sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I have to watch Surrogates. This book just sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It DOES sound a little like Surrogates. Thanks for bringing this one to me attention!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. I've got this one on my wishlist as well and it looks incredible! Awesome pick!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.