Monday, June 27, 2011

The Day Before Review

Author: Lisa Schroeder
Release Date: June 28, 2011
Pages: 320 (e-galley)
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Most Appropriate For Ages: 14+
Where I Got It: For review from Galley Grab

Amber’s life is spinning out of control. All she wants is to turn up the volume on her iPod until all of the demands of family and friends fade away. So she sneaks off to the beach to spend a day by herself. 

Then Amber meets Cade. Their attraction is instant, and Amber can tell he’s also looking for an escape. Together they decide to share a perfect day: no pasts, no fears, no regrets.

The more time that Amber spends with Cade, the more she’s drawn to him. And the more she’s troubled by his darkness. Because Cade’s not just living in the now—he’s living each moment like it’s his last.
Last year, I read Lisa's debut novel, I Heart You, You Haunt Me. I thought it was addicting, and ended up on my "Best of 2010" list. Well, The Day Before was even more addicting and will more than likely be nabbing a spot on my "Best of 2011" list.

This is the first book that I've ever read it one sitting. Because TDB is written in verse, it is such a fast read. Combined with the mystery of what Cade's up to and Amber's voice, this one was extremely un-put-down-able. I would've liked some more flashbacks from Amber's past, but really I think that's my only complaint about the book.

What I thought would be a sad story, ended up leaving me with feelings of hope. The Day Before is a powerful, fast read about the impact one day can make. I have a feeling this is one I'll be cracking open again.

(I know this review is short, but I really don't want to spoil the book for anyone. I had no idea why Amber and Cade are at the beach, and it was that much better because of that.)

Plot: Unique and well-paced.
Characters: Easy to love.
Writing: Awesome.
Ending: Would've liked some more closure.
Kind Friendly? There was some swearing.
Overall:

2 comments:

  1. so happy you enjoyed this, i can't wait for it!!

    check out the drought trailer on my blog!

    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this- love Lisa's books!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.