Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Glass Houses Review

Author: Rachel Caine
Release Date: October 3, 2006
Pages: 248 (PB)
Publisher: NAL Jam
Most Appropriate For Ages: 14+
Where I Got It: Bought

From the author of the popular Weather Warden series comes the debut of an exciting new series set in Morganville, Texas, where you would be well advised to avoid being out after dark.

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.
Glass Houses was one of the best, most fun paranormal books I've read in a long time.

Lately with paranormal YA, the characters are annoying and two dimensional. And while the characters in Glass Houses aren't as developed as well as, say, a John Green character, they're still a step above some books I've read. Shane was such a swoonworthy love interest, Michael and Eve were great and devoted friends, and Claire was a unique and cool main character.

This was a well-paced novel, but I would've liked a bit more action. Luckily, the cliffhanger ending suggests that there will definitely be more action in the sequel, Dead Girl's Dance.

I don't have to much to say about this one. It was just fast and exciting and good. Overall, I really enjoyed Glass Houses, and I cannot wait to head back into Morganville. Especially since I've heard this series just gets better and better.

Book Report:
Plot: Fast and easy to follow.
Characters: Very fun and likable!
Writing: Not bad. The setting was really well described.
Ending: Why would you end it THERE?
Kid friendly? Pretty. There's a make out scene, brief mentions of sex, and some swearing.
Should I read it? Yes, fans of the genre can't go wrong with this one!
Overall:
 

1 comment:

  1. I loved the great friendship they all had..I wish I lived at the Glass House...or had friends like them. And I agree with the Why would you end it THERE? Best way of summing it up....Got to get hold of the Dead Girl's Dance at some point...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.