Monday, August 8, 2011

Hourglass Review

Author: Myra McEntire
Release Date: June 14, 2011
Pages: 397 (ARC)
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Most Appropriate For Ages: 12+
Where I Got It: From publisher for honest review
One hour to rewrite the past . . .
For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science-fiction genres in a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.

Time-travel has always given me a headache from confusion. Hourglass didn't change that (I'm not sure if anything could, unless I was the one doing the--no, no, that makes it worse), but that didn't stop me from enjoying this book.

With so many paranormal romances taking up space on the YA shelves these days, Hourglass is a breath of fresh air that will still appear to lovers of the paranormal genre. It still has a lot of aspects that some people find in popular paranormals have: suspense, sexy-times, and that un-put-down-able-ness.

My favorite thing about this book, without a doubt, was Emerson. She was such a funny, well-developed main character and I completely loved reading about her. Though, sadly, I felt slightly detached from most of the other characters--most noticeably Michael, the love interest. While I was appreciated his swooniness, I just never really loved him, and parts of their romance didn't feel quite right to me. Also, Some of the side characters (Dean, Nate) were very under-developed. I did like Kaleb, though. Kaleb was...yeah.

In a nutshell, Hourglass was good. It didn't really blow me away like it has some readers, but I enjoyed it and I'll be looking out for more of Emerson's adventures.

Plot: Fast, unique, and will keep you on the edge of your seat.
Characters: Emerson was a fantastic main character, but the side characters could've been better.
Writing: Pretty good.
Ending: Wrapped things up nicely, but left room for a sequel.
Kid friendly? There's some mild swearing and implications of sex, but nothing really serious.
Should I read it? If it sounds like something you'd like, go for it.
Overall:
 

2 comments:

  1. Nice review. Time travel always make's me confused too. My brain is always like....BLEH!! haha.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.