Monday, September 12, 2011

Rae Review



Author: Chelsea Rae Swiggett
Release Date: August 2, 2010
Pages: 158  
Publisher: HCI Teens  
Most Appropriate For Ages: 12+  
Where I Got It: From publicist for review

Rae is beyond socially awkward.

Since she was a little girl, Rae Swiggett knew something was different about her. The sound of planes flying overhead could spark a panic attack. Being called on in class was enough to push her over the edge. She feared the unknown, life, death, people . . . even fear itself.

By the time she reached ninth grade, Rae was muddling through life in relative silence, convinced everyone was mocking her, judging her, picking her apart, bit by little bit. Rae knew she couldn't keep going on this way. She knew something had to give.

'It's a game of catch-22 I constantly play with myself. If I keep acting normal, I hope one day I will be, but every time I try, I just let myself down. I'm so entirely sick of this game.'
I have stalked the author's book blog ever since I started blogging, so when I was asked to review her story I couldn't resist reading it. And boy am I glad I did.

Rae is an autobiography (or memoir? I'm not sure what the difference is), and I've never read one, so I was nervous before starting it. I shouldn't have been. Because of it's short length and completely addicting writing, I finished it in less than 24 hours. Swiggett has an undeniable gift for writing. It's intense, emotional, and just amazing. It had me glued to the pages.

I didn't know much about social anxiety before reading Rae, but it really is a sad and horrible thing. While reading you just want to reach into the book and give Chelsea a hug. 

It feels weird to say that I enjoyed Rae, when the author obviously didn't enjoy this time in her life, but I did find myself grabbed by this tale. I'm so glad that Swiggett chose to share her story with us, and I can't wait to read anything else by her.

Non-fictions don't get ratings 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.