Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Vision Review


Author: Jen Nadol
Release Date: September 27, 2011
Pages: 220
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Most Appropriate For Ages: 12+
Where I Got It: Through tour site for review
Other Titles In Series: The Mark
Cassie Renfield knows the mark tells her when someone is going to die and that she can intervene and attempt to change fate. But she still doesn't understand the consequences, especially whether saving one life dooms another. With no family left to offer guidance, Cassie goes in search of others like her. But when she meets Demetria, a troubled girl who seems to have the power of the Fates, Cassie finds the truth isn't at all what she expected. And then there's her heady new romance with bad boy Zander. Dating him has much graver repercussions than she could ever have imagined, forcing Cassie to make choices that cut to the essence of who she is and what she believes.

Jen Nadol offers readers a romance with big stakes and an ethical dilemma with no easy answers in this riveting sequel to The Mark. Paranormal fans who love the psychological thrill of Lisa McMann's bestselling Wake trilogy will flock to these books.
In my opinion, The Vision was one of those sequels that was almost unnecessary. It just seemed to be The Mark all over again, with one--unsatisfying--answer. The pacing was a bit too slow and the plot is a bit too much like The Mark for me to enjoy The Vision a lot.

I hated to have to say all that, because I really liked The Mark...but it was way too true.

The Vision did have it's strong points, like Cassie. While sometimes she was a bit too floppy, I still think she's such a believable character. The side characters were rather flat, though.

Unfortunately The Vision was a big let down for me.Will I be reading the next book in the series? ...Well, I think I'd see what others thought of it before picking it up. I'm more excited to see what else Nadol can do at this point.

Plot: Read it before.
Characters: Cassie was ok, but the rest were blah.
Writing: Good.
Ending: Liked it.
Kind Friendly? There was mild swearing and making out.
Should I read it? If you really enjoyed The Mark, The Vision did answer some questions you had. But as it's own installment it didn't work for me. Hopefully you'll feel differently, though.
Overall:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.