Saturday, December 31, 2011

Goodbye 2011, Hello 2012 (Goals and Things I Learned)

2011 was a great year for books. It was also a great year for my blog. for the first time, I feel completely in control of it and comfortable with the direction I've taken/am taking with it, and with my review pile. It's a wonderful feeling, and one that I hope will stay.

I think part of this great feeling is that I learned a lot about blogging this year. I thought I knew everything in 2010, but I didn't. That's part of the adventure of blogging; you're always learning new stuff. I learned things like:

  • How to say, "No thanks, my review pile's just too full."
  • When I need to step back and read a book I own.
  • Library books are free and buying books is the opposite of free.
  • Just because sometimes people don't comment doesn't mean that they don't care.
  • If they didn't like your blog they wouldn't be following it.
  • Contemporary YA is The Bomb.
All of those things are small but when you put them together they become not-so-small.

I'm very excited for the things 2012 holds for me and this blog. I am deeming it the Year of Shut Up! I'm Reading, in fact. I'm also scared, because I know I'll be very busy, but I'm trying to stay excited because it's much easier.

I want to make a couple of reading and blogging goals for myself. They are:
  • More interviews or guest posts (This was a goal for last year that completely failed.)
  • Be more consistent with giveaways.
  • Read more. (Another goal I set for 2011, and I did. Now I want to top that.)
  • Get out of my comfort zone a bit more often.
  • Read more classics.
  • Try and add some depth to my reviews. (Somebody mentioned this in the survey and I'd love to do it.)
  • Try and find some depth.
  • Finish the Harry Potter series.
I always set way too many resolutions for myself. Oh well. I like it that way. 

I hope you'll stick around in 2012 and hope you like what you see, and I hope that you have a safe and happy New Years Eve and 2012.

Also, I'll be having a lot of giveaways coming up this week. So stay tuned.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome list. You're so right about the no comment thing.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you really do finish the Harry Potter series! Its so amazing. As far as adding depth to your reviews, I suggest you write your reviews however you want to. And I have a suggestion for the person that said that to you about a "depth" they can go to! Personally, I like your reviews! Good luck with all of your 2012 goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm working on finishing the Harry Potter series too! The only one I haven't read is the last one but it's been so long I'm doing an entire series re-read. I'm on the third one right now. Happy 2012! :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list of resolutions, a few of these are on mine as well. Which reminds me I need to type mine up. =D Lol!

    Happy 2012! Hope you've had an awesome New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great set of goals!
    * How far into HP are you really?
    * I need to read more classics - or at least re-visit old book friends. I have been spotting them on random shelves and thinking back at how awesome they were.

    Good luck :D

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.