Thursday, June 21, 2012

Crazy Review

Author: Amy Reed
Release date: June 12, 2012
Pages: 384
Publisher: SimonPulse
How I got it: For review via GalleyGrab 
He’s falling in love—and she’s falling over the edge of sanity. From the author of Beautiful and Clean, a heartwrenching exploration of a romance marred by mental illness. 
Connor knows that Izzy will never fall in love with him the way he’s fallen for her. But somehow he’s been let into her crazy, exhilarating world and become her closest confidante. But the closer they get, the more Connor realizes that Izzy’s highs are too high and her lows are too low. And the frenetic energy that makes her shine is starting to push her into a much darker place. 
As Izzy’s behavior gets increasingly erratic and self-destructive, Connor gets increasingly desperate to stop her from plummeting. He knows he can’t save her from her pain...but what if no one else can?
So before I start this review, can I get a WHAT WHAT for books about mental illness? Thank you. Now we may move on.

I hadn't heard much about Crazy, so my expectations for the novel were fairly low. However, after I finished it I immediately wondered why I hadn't heard more about it. I gobbled this one up and I have a good feeling that this story and these characters will be staying with me for a while.

Towards the beginning of the novel, Izzy seemed like your average manic pixie dream girl (which I have no complaints about, cause I'm known to have a weakness about books with manic pixie dream girls). But the deeper the connection between Connor and Izzy gets, the more we realize that she's not. Something else is going on. As you attempt to unravel more and more pieces of Izzy's life and maybe-not-so-normal mind, you won't be able to put this book down.

I loved that Crazy was written in emails. You get a real feel for Izzy and Connor's developing relationship, and a different look into each of their worlds than normal. I'm weird about books written through letters (it was one of my biggest problems with Perks of Being a Wallflower) but Reed managed to pull it off brilliantly, and it was surprisingly well-written.

Crazy was my first Amy Reed novel, but it definitely won't be my last. Crazy was different, twisted, grabbing, and just plain good. If you like contemporary with exciting yet scary characters, I'd definitely recommend Crazy.

Plot: Mostly revolves around Izzy's deteriorating health, but I still found it to be addictive.
Characters: Loved Izzy and Connor! 
Writing: Really, really good.
Ending: Perfect! 
Kid friendly? There was sex, swearing, and mentions of drugs and alcohol.
Overall:
I couldn't put this one down.
Once I started this book, I couldn't really stop. Not only is this novel a quick read, but it's also really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.