Thursday, June 14, 2012

Loser/Queen Review

Author: Jodi Lynn Anderson
Release date: June 22, 2010
Publisher: SimonTeen
Pages: 260
How I got it: For review from publisher 
Cammy Hall is what anyone would describe as a loser. She lives with her grandparents and has adopted their way of life… right down to the comfortable shoes and early bedtime. And can she help it that she actually likes to knit?  
At school, her skills with knitting needles and some yarn go completely unappreciated: people like Bekka Bell reign while Cammy and her best friend, the fearless Danish exchange student Gerdi, watch from the sidelines. Cammy’s used to being an outsider; after years of humiliating moments, her goal is simply to fly under the radar. Then she suddenly starts receiving mysterious text messages that lead her right to all the embarrassing secrets about the most popular kids in school. Cammy never expected to be able to climb up the high school food chain, and the agenda of the texter may be questionable—but how can she possibly give up the chance to be Queen?  
This is the print version of the groundbreaking online interactive serial LOSER/QUEEN. Readers will have the opportunity to own the book they helped create!
Loser/Queen had pretty much no substance to it whatsoever, but if you're in the market for a fun read, I would recommend this one.

As far as protagonists go, Cammy was a pretty good one. Her old-people-like nature makes her oddly charming and I found myself rooting for her pretty early on. However I did fine Cammy's friend Gerdi to be really annoying and she kind of bothered me throughout the story.

As far as light reads go, this book definitely didn't disappoint. Loser/Queen definitely had its funny moments. I found myself hysterically giggling once or twice (the STD scene, guys). However, the pacing of the novel seemed to be  very off throughout the story. Despite that, I read Loser/Queen very quickly.

Despite its 
predictability and cliches, I have to say I did enjoy Loser/Queen. I would recommend this one to teens looking for a cute summer read.


Plot: Predictable and shallow, but I knew that going into it.
Characters: Cammy was cool, Gerdi was ridiculously annoying, though.
Writing: Nothing spectacular.
Ending: Not bad.
Kid friendly? Very. There may have been one or two swear words, but that was it.
Overall:
I'd put this down have a conversation with you but I'd quickly return to it.
Loser/Queen is nothing special but sometimes that's what you need, and if you need that then Loser/Queen is what you're looking for.

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of this and didn't realise it was something that people could contribute to online. The idea sounds great but it's a shame about Gerdi - you and I seem to have very similar opinions on books so if you disliked her, I probably will too!

    I would like to read this and I think the cover is adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.