Friday, August 31, 2012

I Hunt Killers Review

Author: Barry Lyga
Release date: April 3, 2012
Pages: 359
Publisher: Little, Brown
How I got it: Library

What if the world's worst serial killer...was your dad?

Jasper (Jazz) Dent is a likable teenager. A charmer, one might say.

But he's also the son of the world's most infamous serial killer, and for Dear Old Dad, Take Your Son to Work Day was year-round. Jazz has witnessed crime scenes the way cops wish they could--from the criminal's point of view.

And now bodies are piling up in Lobo's Nod.

In an effort to clear his name, Jazz joins the police in a hunt for a new serial killer. But Jazz has a secret--could he be more like his father than anyone knows?


I have read books about killer demons, gargoyle-people-things that plot the downfall of mankind, ghosts that can--and will--literally rip you in half, and cults that kill people. Still, I'm pretty sure I Hunt Killers is the most chilling book I have ever read. And that is a wonderful, wonderful thing for me my friends, because that's exactly what I was looking for going into this book.

What's so chilling about I Hunt Killers? Billy Dent. Our protagonist--Jazz Dent--has a SERIOUSLY messed up dad, but I cannot help but appreciate the way he was written: not as a raving madman, but a calm, collected, all-too-realistic lunatic that will be keeping me 100 yards away from strangers at all times.

Jazz himself also makes the book that more fascinatingly twisted: his inner turmoil, his struggle between being a good person and his "urges", how his father screwed him up so bad he doesn't know which of his thoughts are his own or Billy's...it keeps you constantly on the edge of your seat. Despite this, I became totally invested in Jazz's character, which made me even more nervous for him.

Though it took me a little while to get into, I Hunt Killers ended up being everything I wanted and nothing like anything I've read before: twisted, demented, creepy, freaky, terrifying. It was awesome.

Plot: Didn't grab me very quickly, but once it did I found it to be unique and exciting.
Characters: Jazz rocked, his friends rocked, his dad totally brought the creepy. A win all around, I'd say.
Writing: Very good.
Ending: I want book two!
Mature content: Violence, mentions of sex, rape, and there's swearing.
Overall:
EXCUSE ME but I am ATTEMPTING to read about a serial killer's SON HERE. WE CAN TALK LATER.
I Hunt Killers was everything I was looking for, and maybe a little more. Highly recommended!

3 comments:

  1. It's great that this book was just what you were looking for! It does sound creepy and I definitely want to read it, thanks for the warning about the slow start ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds SO good. I'm really considering the audio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay I'm glad it's good! I looked at this when it first came out but I wasn't sure, but I was hoping it was good!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.