Friday, May 31, 2013

Break Review

"It's been about six months since I've had something in a cast. Kids at school laugh and call me a klutz. This girl Charlotte carries my books. My parents are baffled. Will cries. Jesse keeps getting sick.
You're broken, and you're fixed.
And you're better."


Break is Moskowitz's debut, but it's the third book I've of hers I've read, so I kept comparing this one to her more recent releases and I've decided this: the writing in this one is definitely not as gripping and shockingly unique as it now is, BUT this is also one of her better ones I think.

All you really need to know about Break is that it revolves around a guy whose new found mission in life is to break every bone in his body. I can't tell you why because that would make me a bad person, but just know that main character, Jonah, does not really have the best home life. His parents are constantly distracted by their own petty fights, as well as Jonah's brother Jess's awful allergies, and his baby brother's constant screaming. So Jonah breaks his bones. Obviously.

As you may be able to tell, Jonah has his share of issues that we learn more and more about with each passing page. The way he went about dealing with his emotions never felt over-dramatic or alarming, and to me that was almost scary.

But as intense as Break can sometimes be, it's full of good side characters, a handful of good jokes, and an abundance of hope, all of which makes for a really good book.

Plot: Totally unique and dark.
Characters: Lovably screwed up.
Writing: Awesome, as usual with this author.
Ending: Fitting.
Content: Some just general dark thoughts, as well as swearing.
Overall:
Pretty dope.
Hannah Moskowitz is basically a cult leader in the YA community, if you ask me. And I'm a proud cult member. (Also, this book totally fits with this song.)

Jessica

5 comments:

  1. Okay, one, this book sounds really good, and two. THAT IS LITERALLY MY FAVORITE SONG RIGHT NOW. YOU ARE PSYCHIC, WOMAN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya! I nominated and awarded you with the lovely blog award. It's here http://curiositykilledmystupidity.blogspot.ie/2013/06/award.html if you want it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only read one other review of this and as soon as you mentioned the bone-breaking, I realised I'd heard of it. It does sound really intense and I am keen to read more of Hannah's work

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book. Thanks for writing a review bout this.I like your blog name and home page design.Doing well.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.