Thursday, May 23, 2013

Just One Day Review

Gayle Forman's newest is vastly different from If I Stay and Where She Went, both some of my very favorite books. While I don't think this is "as good" as those, I still loved it and am still proud to call Forman one of my favorite authors.

Alyson's story opens in Stratford-Upon-Avon, the birthplace of Shakespeare and the last stop in her crappy European tour/graduation present. When she takes a chance and sees an independant Shakespeare company, the next 48 hours of her life take a shocking twist. And so does she, as she says yes to things that she never would've before, because of Willem.

But what happens after?

Just One Day is a novel of love, both in the classic loving-a-boy way and in the not so classic finding-the-you-that-you-love way. Both of these story-lines were equally successful.

Alyson was a character that you found yourself rooting for no matter what, even when she was depressed and down on herself for stupid things. Dee-Dee was one of the funniest, most unique side characters I've found in a long while. And I found myself just as fascinated by Willem as she was.

Plot: At first I thought it was going to basic, but it turned out to be more complicated and I really appreciated that.
Characters: Dee-Dee is the greatest. And so was everyone else.
Writing: As great as it was in Where She Went.
Ending: WHAT ENDING. AH. I NEED JUST ONE YEAR NOW.
Overall:
Lovely.
Gayle Forman is not just a one-trick pony, guys.

Jessica

1 comment:

  1. I am a big Gayle Foreman fan and I have yet to read this one! Your review was very good and I'm excited to read this book! I just started a book blog, check it out at http://nosedeep.blogspot.com. Any advice or feedback would be great :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.