Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Wings Review

Release Date: May 5, 2009
Publisher: HarperTeen
Age Group: 12+
Pages: 290 (Hardcover)

Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.

Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.

In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.

------------------------------------------------

For some reason Wings seemed like it would be a book for younger readers, and not as dark as books that I normally read. I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong.

Aprilynne Pike spends no time getting into the plot. And it only gets better from there. This isn't necessarily a "oh my God, this book had a million twists and turns that I didn't see coming" book, but it does keep you guessing for a good amount of time.

Laurel really annoyed me. She seemed one-dimensional throughout the whole book, and there wasn't any character growth. And the way she took advantage of David and Tamani really irritated me too. Usually I like the main characters, but I didn't like Laurel. I loved David and Tamani, but I think I liked Tamani a little more. They were both great characters, though.

The fact that this is a debut novel really surprises me. Aprilynne Pike writes like she's a famous author. She's an excellent writer, and storyteller- and that's a compliment; it's hard to find an author with both qualities as good as hers. I'll definitely be reading her next book.

In spite of Lauel, I really enjoyed Wings. It was hard for me to put down, and had the perfect amount of romance, friendship, and action. And the ending was fantastic. I'd definitely recommend it.

(Miley Cyrus doesn't deserve to be in this movie. Even if I did dislike Laurel, I dislike Miley SO much more.)

4 comments:

  1. I'll have to check this one out! :)

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN SISTER!! (about the *shudders* Miley C comment)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I loved this book.
    2. You're right about Pike. She's such a wonderful storyteller.
    3. I can't wait for the next book. I have a total crush on Tamani.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.