Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Shiver Review

Release Date: August 1, 2009
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Age Group: 14+
Pages: 390 (Hardcover)

For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again. Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

---------------------------------------------------------------

This book was great. Yes, all those raving reviews you've read about it are valid. That's really all there is to it. I think I could end this review right now, but I want to continue raving about it, so I'll go on.

The plot in itself is really original-well, not the werewolf part, but how they "shift", and the entire take on werewolves. Although it's low on action until the last 90 pages or so, it keeps you reading religiously; fueled by romance, a little mystery, and an excellent storyline.

The characters are wonderful. Grace isn't the "normal girl" in most teen fiction, she's more logical, level-headed, and relatable than lots of protagonists. And Sam was more creative, afraid, and sensitive then most guy characters. The only character that annoyed me was Jack-obviously, and Olivia a little bit too. I was only annoyed with Beck until he explained himself.

Grace and Sam's romance is amazing. They're so sweet. At first I thought that they were moving too fast for only knowing each other for a short amount of time, but then I realized that they had shared a connection, an unbreakable bond for six years. And that definitely shows.

I think the writing was one of the things that made this book so great. OK, here is what I meant when I said it was taking me a long time to read it in a good way: The writing is so beautiful and poetic that I'd have to re-read sentenses to make sure I understood it correctly, or sometimes just to savor it's beauty. It was that good.

Overall, a great book! I can't think about anything negative to say about it except that the next book doesn't come out unitl 2010! I was very satisfied with the ending-but I want Linger, the next book, in what is supposed to be a series. And I want it now. I want to be sucked back into Maggie Stiefvater's wondeful world of werewolves now. Trust me, go read it this very moment.

Was it better than Blood and Chocolate? Oh yeah. This is, without a doubt in my mind, the best completely werewolf dedicated book I've ever read.

13 comments:

  1. O
    O
    O
    I love you review and am now more excited about Shiver (which I wasn't sure was even possible).
    I love that you mentioned Blood & Chocolate. I loved that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know that you enjoyed it, since I just bought myself a copy yesterday! Great review

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished it not even five minutes ago! I can't wait to read the next one. Why,oh why, did you have to share that with me? ;-;

    Shiver could eat Blood and Chocolate for breakfast and still be starving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Maggie. She is an awesome writer. Lament is really good 2. It seems like everyone has read Shiver but me. I have 2 get it!

    AWARD 4 Ya @ my Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. JuJu: I really likeed Blood and Chocolate, but Shiver is way better.

    Lizzy: I hope you enjoy it too!

    MeganDreamer: lol! I'm not sure when it's coming out (I ma have heard 2010...but don't quote me on that), but it's too long.

    Faye: I love her too! She's rapidly approaching my list of favorite authors with ease. I didn't get what people meant when they said that her writing was "musical" but I totally get it now. I read Lament awhile back, too and thought it was pretty good. I'm so glad that I won a copies of Shiver and Ballad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Blood & Chocolate is soo much better than Shiver. I think I am the only person on the planet that didn't love Shiver, I only gave it a 2/5. I did really like Sam though and the new take on why wolves shift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your review is great, this book is already on my wishlist..but now i really do need to buy it asap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review.

    I gave you an award:
    http://justanotherbookaddict.blogspot.com/2009/09/my-3rd-award-lets-be-friends.html

    ~Lindsay
    JABA

    ReplyDelete
  9. i agree completely...that's all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have to say I loved this book. And yes, it lives up to all the hype. I love that it is so different, no silver bullets, no full moon changes, and yet so very believable. I'm such a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There have been so many great reviews of this book... I think I NEED to pick it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a really great review, Jess. This is another book that's on my wishlist :) I can't wait to read it and you've just made me want to more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.