Thursday, April 29, 2010

Jekel Loves Hyde Review

Author: Beth Fantaskey
Release Date: May 3 , 2010
Pages: 288
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Most Appropriate For Ages: 12+
Where I Got It: From Around The World Tours
Challenges it counts for: Read Your Name Challenge (The J in Jessica)

Jill Jekel has always obeyed her parents' rules--especially the one about never opening the mysterious, old box in her father's office. But when her dad is murdered, and her college savings disappear, she's tempted to peek inside, as the contents might be the key to a lucrative chemistry scholarship.

To improve her odds, Jill enlists the help of gorgeous, brooding Tristen Hyde, who has his own dark secrets locked away. As the team of Jekel and Hyde, they recreate experiments based on the classic novel, hoping not only to win a prize, but to save Tristen's sanity. Maybe his life. But Jill's accidental taste of a formula unleashes her darkest nature and compels her to risk everything--even Tristen's love--just for the thrill of being...bad.
----------------------------------------------
It's fair to say that with such an intriguing premise and an author who wrote a book as great as Jessica's Guide To Dating On The Dark Side that I was expecting greatness from Jekel Loves Hyde. Too much greatness, I guess.

The plot has such promise! Originality, romance, and a twist on a classic. Unfortunately, to me it felt like it dragged on for just a tad too long for such a short book. Luckily it got better. I saw most of the twists coming, but there were one or two that I wouldn't have guessed.

The characters were decent. I didn't fully connect with Jill. I mean, I listen to my parents all of the time (we've got a pretty awesome relationship) and cheating is wrong, but at some points she seemed a little too goody-two-shoes. I really liked Tristen, though. He was kind of dark, very smart, and pretty swoony-worthy too. Jill and Tristen were great together, however, and I was really rooting for them their relationship to work out.

The writing was, as expected, very good. Descriptive, dark, and everything that Beth Fantaskey showed us in JGTDOTDS. (Except for the humor. There's very little, if any, humor in this book.)

The ending literally left me going, "Huh? How did that work?" But once I'd figured it out it satisfied me since it wrapped up the story nicely. Overall, Jekel Loves Hyde didn't fully live up to my expectations. But I did like it and I will definitely be picking up Fantaskey's next book.

http://www.mylivesignature.com/signatures/85705/bergquistorama/72eb37eb0eb154f255ad3e4429dc521e.png

6 comments:

  1. With this book I felt there was something a little bit off to. I put it to the fact that the original Jekyl and Hyde story ends about halfway through the book and then there's so much more after. I felt like I was reading two books in one. I loved it still but there was definitely something less flowy about this one than Jessica's Guide..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read a few reviews of this and most have said the same thing as you. Oh well, I will still read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave you an award! http://qtbookworm.blogspot.com/2010/04/award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sad that it wasn't as good as JGTDOTDS but I guess I expected that. I plan on reading this very soon so I will see how I like it.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like an interesting read.
    Kelly Bookend Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool post. I like how you pointed out what worked for you and what didn't.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.