Friday, June 25, 2010

Interview with Lisa Schroeder, Author of IHYYHM

Today I'm pleased to welcome Lisa Schroeder, author of young adult novels I Heart You, You Haunt Me (which I reviewed here), Far From You, and Chasing Brooklyn. Today we'll be discussing her first book, I Heart You, You Haunt Me.

Where did you get the idea for I Heart You, You Haunt Me?

I know you hear this answer from time to time from authors, but I had a dream about a girl whose boyfriend loved her so much he didn't want to let her go. I got up the next morning and started writing. I don't dream very often, so it was really strange. I wish it'd happen more often, actually.

What made you decide to write in verse?

I had been a fan of verse novels for a long time, but had never tried writing one. When I sat down to write, the story wanted to come out in this sparse, poetic way. I was afraid at first. Like - what am I doing? I don't know what I'm doing! But I went with it, because it felt right. When my agent took me on as a client, she said she loved the atmosphere the verse created. And I hadn't really put it into words before what the verse did for the story, but that's exactly it. It created an atmosphere I couldn't have gotten if I'd written in straight prose.

Which one of your I Heart You, You Haunt Me characters is most like you?

Definitely Ava. She loves to read and bake cookies and make playlists. I love all of those things too. But I didn't think about that when I was writing, I just knew that she was very different from Jackson, who was much more outgoing and adventurous, so I knew she was more quiet and enjoyed quieter activities.

There are a few songs that are mentioned in I Heart You, You Heart Me. Did you listen to them while writing? Did you have a playlist to go with your novel?

I listened to some Evanescence while I was writing the book, but that's about it. Other songs I had to research in order to find the right one to fit the occasion. Sometimes I listen to music while I'm writing, other times I don't. It just depends. Writing in verse is so much about finding the right words and I have to think HARD sometimes. But when I need inspiration, I definitely
look for songs that speak to my heart the way I want my books to speak to people's hearts. I know this might sound weird, but I'd love for my books to read like a long song.

Had you planned out the ending of the novel from the beginning?

I didn't plan out any of that novel. It all came very organically. I know some people are disappointed with the ending, but it felt right to me. It was too soon for anything else to happen for Ava. Lots of people have wanted to know what happens, and have asked for a sequel. There isn't one in the works at this time, but Ava does make a short but sweet appearance in CHASING BROOKLYN, so readers can see how she's doing. :)

Thank you again for the interview Lisa! I can't wait to read more of your work!
http://www.mylivesignature.com/signatures/85705/bergquistorama/72eb37eb0eb154f255ad3e4429dc521e.png

3 comments:

  1. I love when you do author interviews! Great, loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Lisa. I need to read all of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview Jessica and Lisa. I love to find out how the author came up with the concept of their story and the why, where, etc of their initial idea.

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.