Friday, January 21, 2011

Characterization.

Lately, I've been thinking about something bookish, and it's something that can make or break a book for me--and many readers: characters.

We can love them to death, or hate them to death. But what gives them that UMPH? What transforms them from just words on a page to one of our best friends in the world?

Well, of course, a lot of it is in the way the character is written. That's a given. One of an author's hardest jobs is getting their character across as how they've seen them in their head, and to get the reader to love (or hate) the character as much as they do.

What do you think? What gives characters that much-needed POP? What are some of your favorite characters?
http://www.mylivesignature.com/signatures/85705/bergquistorama/7a79d124891e43155b9d4b2ccb5c72df.png

4 comments:

  1. I like characters that seem real - they have complex personalities, develop throughout the story, and their motivations are explained. They don't even have to be particularly likable to be a flesh-out and interesting character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like edgy, layered characters. I believe people connect to characters that are similar to the people they meet and interact with everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Characters are my favourite aspect of a novel, especially contemporary. Two things kind of stick out in my mind as to what makes them stand out:

    1)They need a past. I have a difficult time connecting to a character when they just exist in the here and now. There needs to be mention of something that happened to them before, that made an impact in their lives before we as the readers meet them. I like it when they reminisce etc.
    2) They need flaws. A perfect character is boring and not realistic. I find that the characters I end up liking the most are those with imperfections.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there... Just wanted to stop by and give you this: Stylish Blogger Award

    XOXO
    Mandi

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.