Monday, April 18, 2011

Invincible Summer Review

Author: Hannah Moskowitz
Release Date: April 19, 2011
Pages: 288 (E-ARC)
Publisher: Razorbill
Most Appropriate For Ages: 14+
Where I Got It: For review from Galley Grab

Noah’s happier than I’ve seen him in months. So I’d be an awful brother to get in the way of that. It’s not like I have some relationship with Melinda. It was just a kiss. Am I going to ruin Noah’s happiness because of a kiss? 

Across four sun-kissed, drama-drenched summers at his family’s beach house, Chase is falling in love, falling in lust, and trying to keep his life from falling apart.  But some girls are addictive....
OK, firstly: this description sucks. It makes it sound like some chick-lit romance, but it's so far from anything like that. Invincible Summer isn't a love story, it's a raw story about a beach, a family, and tragedies.

Chase, our main character is an Everboy--forever a boy, never wanting to grow up. Half of the book seems to be him nostalgically remembering the past, when he and his siblings were young and everything was simple. As a nostalgic teen who still watches Rugrats with her little brother to relive her youth, I related to this really easily.

Moskowitz's writing is addicting. I zoomed right through this book, and I'm sure most of the reason for that is the quick unique writing style. I quickly knew that I'd have to pick up Moskowitz's first novel, Break, cause it's clear the woman has a gift.

So, Chase and his older brother Noah get addicted to the author Camus one summer, and after that they quote him constantly. While pretty, a lot of the quotes went over my head and made me feel kinda stupid. And that wasn't fun.

For some reason I just couldn't love this one, but I did really like it. I can't say much else without spoiling it for you, so I won't. I'll just say that this is a powerful read about a screwed up family and a really screwed up couple of summers, and that it will linger in my mind for a while.

Book Report:
Plot: Well done.
Characters: Likable, annoying, and realistic.
Writing: Really impressive.
Ending:Wrapped everything up really well.
Kid friendly? There's some sex, drinking, and mentions of rape.
Should I read it? If you're in the mood for a dark read, definitely.
Overall:

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree, that description sucks. It was a great book, pretty raw and tragic like you mention, but I really like it. Nice Review

    -Mariana S
    http://smartgirls-read.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the way you set up your blog and reviews! This book sounds really good and I will have to pick it up and add it to my reading stack. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.