Monday, June 13, 2011

Clarity Review

Author: Kim Harrington
Release Date: March 1, 2011
Pages: 242 (HC)
Publisher: Scholastic Point
Most Appropriate For Ages: 12+
Where I Got It: From library
Challenge: Debut Author 2011
Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift.

And a curse.

When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case--but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother--who has supernatural gifts of his own--becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?
Clarity was a fast-paced, fun read that I really liked.

Despite the fact that the plot of Clarity revolves around a serial killer, Kim Harrington still somehow makes this a fun read. I'm not quite sure how she does it. I bet it helped that Clare (who's real name is "Clarity" thanks to her hippie psychic mother) had a fantastic voice. She was likable, witty, and level-headed.

This book was very Veronica Mars-esque, but it didn't feel like it was trying to be. I think the supernatural element in the story gave it some distance between Mars. But Clare's voice reminded me of Veronica, her ex Justin reminded me of Duncan, the new bad boy in town reminded me of Logan, the family dynamic reminded me of Veronica and her dad, etc. I could go on. And I don't mean to call the book out for this, cause I liked the similarities. I'm just saying fans of Veronica Mars will probably like this book.

Clarity's a breath of fresh air for those who like supernatural stories but are sick of all the cliches and stale plots. The characters were likable, the writing was good, and the mystery kept me guessing. Why wouldn't you read it?

Plot: Action-packed and kept me guessing.
Characters: Really likable.
Writing: Pretty good.
Ending: Wrapped everything up really well.
Kid friendly? Kinda. There's death, some mild swearing, and mentions of sex.
Overall:


4 comments:

  1. Wow a serial killer and a fun read in one. Got to check this one out. Thanks for reviewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know there's a serial killer in this book!
    This cover is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay. Really enjoyed this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was fun and a great mystery!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.