Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Misfit Review

Author: Jon Skovron
Release Date: August 1, 2011
Pages: 384 (HC)
Publisher: Amulet
Most Appropriate For Ages: 14+
Where I Got It: From the library

Jael has always felt like a freak. She’s never kissed a boy, she never knew her mom, and her dad’s always been superstrict—but that’s probably because her mom was a demon, which makes Jael half demon and most definitely not a normal sophomore girl. On her sixteenth birthday, a mysterious present unlocks her family’s dangerous history and Jael’s untapped potential. What was merely an embarrassing secret before becomes a terrifying reality. Jael must learn to master her demon side to take on a vindictive Duke of Hell while also dealing with a twisted priest, best friend drama, and a spacey blond skater boy who may have hidden depths.
Author Jon Skovron takes on the dark side of human nature with his signature funny, heartfelt prose.
You may or may not remember how much I enjoyed Skovron's '09 debut, Struts & Frets. So when I heard he was venturing into paranormal, I was a bit apprehensive about it, but was still willing to give it a try because I enjoyed Struts & Frets so much. Well, it didn't live up to my expectations.

Misfit puts a whole new spin on demons and even some stories from the bible. While I think it was brave of Skovron to do such a bold thing and sometimes a very cool concept, I thought a lot of it went over my head when it really shouldn't have. I ended up very confused and frustrated by the plot the more Skovron explained it.

Each of the characters were annoying. Jael was your run-of-the-mill stupid protagonist that doesn't listen to anyone and tells guys she barely knows that she's a demon because it feels right. Her dad's consistently cold personality annoyed me to know end; Britt was so self-absorbed it was torturous; and her uncle...well, he was there, I guess. I enjoyed Rob's character, but not his and Jael's relationship. It felt unnatural and...weird.

The best part of the book was the ending (no, not because it ended. I am not a Simon Cowell). Jael finally--for lack of a better term--grew a pair and kicked butt and took names and all that. Skovron's writing was also another part of the book that kept me reading. While not perfect, it was pretty good.

I guess my expectations were too high, because I really thought I'd love this one, but sadly I just didn't.

Plot: Interesting, but slow-moving.
Characters: Rob was okay, but overall...eh.
Writing: Pretty good.
Ending: Predictable but good.
Kind Friendly? There was swearing, multiple mentions of sex, and violence.
Should I read it? If it's more up your alley than it is mine, give it a go I guess. If it's not, then...
Overall:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.