Friday, October 7, 2011

One of Those Hideous Books Where The Mother Dies Review


Author: Sonya Sones
Release Date: October 25, 2005
Pages: 272 (PB)
Publisher: SimonPulse
Most Appropriate For Ages: 12+
Where I Got It: Bought

Fifteen-year-old Ruby Milliken leaves her best friend, her boyfriend, her aunt, and her mother's grave in Boston and reluctantly flies to Los Angeles to live with her father, a famous movie star who divorced her mother before Ruby was born.
One of Those Hideous Books Where The Mother Dies was kind of a predictable, cliched novel that you won't really think about once you've finished it, but you enjoyed it well enough while reading it.

 Sadly I never connected to the story like I need to. I think maybe part of the problem was Ruby. While I sometimes liked her humor, she was blind to things I figured out quickly and occasionally annoying. And all of the side-characters were...well, pretty much non-existent.

OOTHBWTMD was told in verse, so it's a really fast read but--for me--that's about all it was. I know some have liked it a LOT more than me, so it's worth a try if it sounds like your style.

Plot: I feel like I've read it before...
Characters: Ruby irritated me.
Writing: Good. It had a different tone than some verse books I've read.
Ending: Saw it coming.
Kind Friendly? There was mild swearing, and mentions of sex.
Should I read it? You know what, yeah. Though it wasn't my cup of tea, I'm sure lots of others will enjoy it. (Mainly because they have.)
Overall:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.