Monday, October 3, 2011

Whip It Review

Author: Shauna Cross
Release Date: June 23, 2009 (reprint)
Pages: 234 (PB)
Publisher: Square Fish
Most Appropriate For Ages: 12+
Where I Got It: From the library

Meet Bliss Cavendar, an indie-rock-loving misfit stuck in the tiny town of Bodeen, Texas. Her pageant-addicted mother expects her to compete for the coveted Miss Bluebonnet crown, but Bliss would rather feast on roaches than be subjected to such rhinestone tyranny. 

Bliss's escape? Roller Derby. 


When she discovers a league in nearby Austin, Bliss embarks on an epic journey full of hilarious tattooed girls, delicious boys in bands, and a few not-so-awesome realities even the most hard-core derby chick has to learn.
(Originally published as Derby Girl.)
 I saw the movie of this a couple of months back, and the movie was so close to the book, that while I was reading it I was constantly comparing it to the book. Which wasn't good for either the book or the movie, because I think both did certain things better.

First of all, I loved Bliss's voice. It was sarcastic and real and always fun to read. Though sadly there were times that I felt the story was narrated oddly and without enough details. Especially when it came to roller derby, cause if it hadn't been for what little bit I knew about the sport, I would've been completely lost.


Also, we never really got to know anyone else but Bliss and her boyfriend. Which on one hand was good, because I loved how realistic their relationship was. But on the other hand...um, these roller derby chicks were pretty much dispensable.

Whip It was fast (I read it in about 3 hours) and fun, but nothing more than that. If you're looking for something light, give it a go.


Book Report:
Plot: Interesting and fun.
Characters: Bliss is an awesome main character, but her and her boyfriend are the only developed characters.
Writing: Bliss's voice was good, but other than that it was lacking.
Ending: Pretty good.
Kid friendly? There's swearing and sex and underage drinking.
Should I read it? Eh. If you really want to. I mean, I've read some 5-star reviews of it, so I guess it just depends on your taste.
Overall:


2 comments:

  1. I saw the movie and I came away with the impression that it was probably a better book. In the movie, I would've liked more a background on Bliss and a stronger sense of what she was thinking. Oh well. I may get around to reading it at some point.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.