Thursday, December 8, 2011

Freak The Mighty Review


Author: Rodman Philbrick
Release Date: June 1st 2001
Pages: 156 (PB)
Publisher: Scholastic Point
Most Appropriate For Ages: 10+
Where I Got It: Bought for book club
"I never had a brain until Freak came along..."
That's what Max thought. All his life he'd been called stupid. Dumb. Slow. It didn't help that people were afraid of him. So Max learned how to be alone. At least until Freak came along.
Freak was weird, too. He had a little body--and a really big brain. Together Max and Freak were unstoppable.
Together they were Freak the Mighty.
So I read Freak The Mighty in about 2 or 3 hours. Not necessarily because I was glued to the pages, but because I put off reading it until the day before my book club.
I wish I had been glued to the pages of Freak The Mighty, but that's far from the truth.
Something the leader of the club pointed out and I have to agree with: the style of writing. It's told in first person from Max's point of view, so we read how Max thinks. I see why Philbrick did this, but it made the book difficult to properly read.
I don't really have many things to say about Freak The Mighty because it didn't really stick with me or affect me in any way at all. Everything about it was kind of bland to me. A lot of people seem to love this book though, so maybe I'm in the minority? I don't know. But like I said, it was a half-decent way to kill 2 or 3 hours.
Plot: Predictable and rather boring.
Characters: Intriguing enough, but I never really connected to them.
Writing: Max's voice and thought made the novel difficult to read.
Ending: Sad, and my favorite part of the book.
Kind Friendly? Yes. There was no swearing, but several mentions of death and murder.
Should I read it? Yeah, why not. It's short and popular (which is the complete opposite of me, by the way).
Overall:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.