Monday, December 12, 2011

Please Ignore Vera Dietz Review

Author: A.S. King
Release Date: October 12, 2010

Pages: 336 (HC)

Publisher: Knopf

Most Appropriate For Ages: 14+

Where I Got It: Gifted
Vera's spent her whole life secretly in love with her best friend, Charlie Kahn. And over the years she's kept a lot of his secrets. Even after he betrayed her. Even after he ruined everything.
So when Charlie dies in dark circumstances, Vera knows a lot more than anyone—the kids at school, his family, even the police. But will she emerge to clear his name? Does she even want to?
Edgy and gripping, Please Ignore Vera Dietz is an unforgettable novel: smart, funny, dramatic, and always surprising.
Everyone who's read this book has loved it, so I finally decided to give it a go.

And wow. I wasn't disappointed. Please Ignore Vera Dietz is unlike anything I've ever read in the best way possible and I don't know how my mere review could do it justice.

King's writing is powerful, gripping, funny, and real, as are her characters. I continuously wanted to smack them or hug them because they just felt so wonderfully real. I seriously could go on and on about how I felt bad for each of them and hated them at times but loved them all the times, but I shan't cause...well, I think you get the idea.

The story unfolds in such a different, grabbing way and I quickly found myself furiously flipping the pages, trying to find out what happened to Charlie and his and Vera's friendship. What I found was often incredibly raw and sad, but there were some parts of their past that were just so sweet and...and... Sigh. Obviously this book totally ripped my heart out and smashed on it and I just have a lot of feelings right now okay.

This novel found it's way into my heart and onto my personal favorites shelf, and now I'm eagerly awaiting my chance to get a hold of more of A.S. King's works.

Plot: Brilliant and unlike anything I've read before.
Characters: So unbelievably real and angering and...wow.
Writing: Amazing.
Kid Friendly? There's language, mentions of sex and pedophilia.
Should I read it? Absolutely.
Overall:

1 comment:

  1. I'm always looking for books with realistic characters, so this one is definitely going on my wishlist :)

    Great review, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.