Thursday, July 5, 2012

Exile Review

Author: Anne Osterlund
Release date: April 28, 2011
Publisher: Speak
Pages: 304
How I got it: From author for review
Other titles in series: Aurelia 
Crown princess Aurelia is a survivor. She survived attempted assassination. She survived the king's rejection. She survived her mother's abandonment. And now, in exile, she must survive her kingdom-from hostile crowds to raw frontier to desert sands. But even as unknown assailants track Aurelia and expedition guide Robert, she knows her greatest risk is falling in love...
------
Exile was a lot like its predecessor, Aurelia, in that it could've been great but fell completely flat for me.

In Exile, there is a lot of unnecessary talking and then more talking and not much doing. It felt very drawn out for me, and if I enjoyed the romance the author was trying to focus on then maybe I wouldn't mind that. However, I cannot say I enjoyed the romance. I was told that these two characters felt something for each other, but not once in the entire novel did I feel any kind of romantic tension between them. It all felt very forced.

I do wish I liked the romance more, because I do like Aurelia. She's damaged but soft-hearted and vulnerable in a unique and compelling way that most main characters are not. Robert is also nice, but he is so driven by his "love" for Aurelia that it was his main characteristic.

This series is not my favorite despite its heaps of potential. If it sounds like something you would like, then I wouldn't tell you not to read it, but I would suggest checking it out from the library instead of buying it.

Plot: Rather boring.
Characters: I like Aurelia but that's it.
Writing: There was no TENSION. I need my SEXUAL TENSION.
Ending: Fine, though not exciting enough to make me want to read the next book.
Kid friendly? Very. There's a brief mention of sex but it never happens, and their swear words are about crowns.
Overall:
Kinda had to force myself to get through this one.
This is just not the series for me, plain and simple. 
Other thoughts on Exile:



2 comments:

  1. This sounds fairly disappointing :( It's a shame because Aurelia herself sounds ok but all that talking really slows down a book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it kind of was. I thought that after the set-up in Aurelia this one would be better. :(

      Delete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.