Monday, August 2, 2010

Sleepless Review

Author: Cyn Balog
Release Date: July 13, 2010
Pages: 215 (ARC)
Publisher: Random House
Most Appropriate For Ages: 12+
Where I Got It: For review from ATWT

Eron DeMarchelle isn't supposed to feel this connection. He is a Sandman, a supernatural being whose purpose is to seduce his human charges to sleep. Though he can communicate with his charges in their dreams, he isn't encouraged to do so. After all, becoming too involved in one human's life could prevent him from helping others get their needed rest.   But he can't deny that he feels something for Julia, a lonely girl with fiery red hair and sad dreams. Just weeks ago, her boyfriend died in a car accident, and Eron can tell that she feels more alone than ever. Eron was human once too, many years ago, and he remembers how it felt to lose the one he loved. In the past, Eron has broken rules to protect Julia, but now, when she seems to need him more than ever, he can't reach her. Eron's time as a Sandman is coming to a close, and his replacement doesn't seem to care about his charges. Worse, Julia is facing dangers she doesn't recognize, and Eron, as he transitions back to being human, may be the only one who can save her. . . .  
------------------------------
I was a big fan of Cyn Balog's debut novel, Fairy Tale, and I really enjoyed Sleepless too.

The plot moved a little slow for me, Eron and Julia didn't get introduced until halfway through the (short) book. But, with some witty humor and character development, it still manages to grab you enough to get to the conflict. I'd never heard too much about Sandmen, so it was definitely original, and Cyn Balog created an interesting world.

I must say that I LOVED Eron. He was quirky, gentlemanyly, and he wore a top hat! In a sea of gorgeous, smooth guy in YA books, Eron gets easily nervous around girls, which made him stand out a lot in my mind. Julia was a good character, and easy to relate to. I loved their chemistry together.

Cyn Balog has definitely found her voice, and I like it! She's a great writer and storyteller, and I'm eager to get her next book.

The ending was fantastic, definitely how I wanted it to end. Overall, an interesting, sweet new paranormal novel that I'd recommend. Cyn Balog has made a fan out of me.


http://www.mylivesignature.com/signatures/85705/bergquistorama/7a79d124891e43155b9d4b2ccb5c72df.png

5 comments:

  1. Great review. I am glad you enjoyed it. It's on my shelf and I can't wait to read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of Sandmen. Definitely original in YA, I think. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read this one. Glad the ending rocked for you. Great review - thanks!


    Alyssa
    Teens Read and Write

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of this one and I can't wait to get my hands on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to exchange links with your site shutupimreading.blogspot.com
    Is this possible?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.