Friday, October 14, 2011

Anna and the French Kiss Review

Author: Stephanie Perkins
Release Date: December 2, 2010
Pages: 378
Publisher: Dutton
Most Appropriate For Ages: 12+
Where I Got It: From library

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.

As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near-misses end with the French kiss Anna--and readers--have long awaited?
Hype is a dangerous, dangerous thing. And Anna and the French Kiss has been one of the most hyped about books I've come across in my two years of blogging. (Notice the italics? It means I'm serious.) So, I went into Anna half-expecting to not like it because of that. Also, I expected to be the snooty reviewer that finds a bunch of stuff wrong with the book and burst everyone's bubble. Because it gives me joy.

But, guys.

I couldn't find anything wrong with it.

It's okay though, cause Anna gave me WAY more joy than bubble-popping does.

The characters and dialogue and general awesome of this book had me grinning from ear to ear at page one. It also made me laugh out loud, want to crawl into the book and give the characters a much-needed hug and chocolate bar, and realize that I like romantic stuff more than I'd realized. (I mean, I have a list of chick-flicks. But they have to be well-written chick-flicks--10 Things I Hate About You, Easy A, Say Anything, Every John Hughes Movie Ever, etc.)

It was like an out-of-body experience, reading Anna. I saw myself reading and tell my family to shut up and giggling (seriously, like, girlish giggling) at St. Clair. Out-of-body-me was all, "How are you reading that fast? How are you already that far in? STOP READING YOU HAVE THINGS TO DO!" But I didn't listen.

Then when it was over, I was incredibly sad that it was. These characters had become my friends and St. Clair had become my obsession book-crush, and I am not in Paris. I was not living in Perkins' world. Who wouldn't be sad about that?

I am not quite sure how Anna and the French Kiss went from Just Another Chick Book to an OMG GREAT BOOK Book, but it did. I cannot wait for Perkins' next novel, Lola and the Boy Next Door, and to just buy a copy of Anna, because I know this is a story that will need to be revisited again and again.

Plot: The feel-good girl-story girls all know and love, but...different, somehow.
Characters: LOOOOVE.
Writing: So good.
Ending: Perfection.
Kind Friendly? There was swearing, mentions of sex, making out, and teen drinking (though in Paris it's legal).
Should I read it? YEAH. OBVIOUSLY.
Overall:

7 comments:

  1. I just finished this last friday.. *sigh* I was very sad it ended too. I can't wait to read lola.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?! No bubble-popping? lol
    I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I have Lola and the Boy Next Door, but I'm afraid to read it because, like you, I was so sad when the first book ended. And what if it's not as good as the first book? I mean, It probably is, but still - what if?

    Great review, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it too! Can't wait to get Lola(I've heard it's just as good!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book was sooooo swoon-worthy wasn't it?? It was just so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hype is most definitely a dangerous thing, it totally ruins the book so I can understand your apprehensiveness going into this book. Thank god I beat the hype & read this before it got to crazy famous so I wasn't expecting anything crazy good.

    I'm glad it turned out good for you! Anna is definitely buy-this-book-and-reread-it-a-million-times worthy.

    Is it because of paris? maybe st. clair's wonderful hair or the humor? who knows but you're right this definitely branches out from regular chick flicks to spectacular!

    I myself cannot wait until I read lola!

    -thank you&come again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't WAIT to read this! It sounds great!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anna doesn't want to be shipped away to Paris during her senior year, so, in true teenage spirit,* she throws a tantrum; a rather useless one as the story opens up with Anna in Paris, knowing next to nothing about the place in which she has to spend an entire year. She is a girl of privilege, attending a prestigious school in a city that many people love, yet she doesn't try to learn anything useful about her new home, I found this slightly disturbing.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.