Monday, October 17, 2011

Aurelia Review


Author: Anne Osterlund
Release Date: April 17, 2008
Pages: 246 (Paperback)
Publisher: Puffin
Most Appropriate For Ages: 12+
Where I Got It: From library

An impressive debut, equal parts commercial appeal and literary prowess. 

Princess Aurelia is next in line to rule the kingdom of Tyralt, but she would rather be one of the common folk, free to learn and roam and . . . not marry the next tyrannical prince that comes courting. Naturally, the king wants Aurelia to marry for political power. Aurelia wants to marry for love. And someone in the kingdom wants her . . . dead. Assigned to investigate and protect Aurelia is Robert, the son of the king's former royal spy and one of Aurelia's oldest friends. As Aurelia and Robert slowly uncover clues as to who is threatening her, their friendship turns to romance. With everything possible on the line, her life, her kingdom, her heart, Aurelia is forced to take matters into her own hands, no matter the cost.
It took me a while to get through Aurelia, but when I did I was pretty happy with it overall. So no it didn't wow me, I was able to find quite a few things to enjoy in my first Osterlund book.

I'll start with my main negative about Aurelia: the pacing was very slow, but it didn't help that it was far out of my normal genre. It just seemed like not a lot happened to me. And when things did happen, I saw them coming pretty early on.

My main positives about the novel would be its winning main character, Aurelia. Aurelia is trying to avoid all of her old and grody suitors, and torn between seeing the world and waiting to rule her beloved kingdom, Tyralt. And you never get to know Robert quite as well as you do Aurelia (though the story's told from both their perspectives) I still enjoyed his character a lot.

While I thought the story could've developed more smoothly and quickly, I enjoyed Aurelia overall. I'll be interested in reading the sequel to see on what other adventures Osterlund can take these great characters.

Plot: Kinda slow-moving and under-developed.
Characters: I was sad that there weren't really any side characters, I really liked the main characters.
Writing: Very good!
Ending: Predictable, but should make for an interesting sequel.
Kind Friendly? There may have been a tad of swearing, as well as a little violence, but that's it.
Should I read it? If it sounds good to you, give it a go.
Overall:
 

1 comment:

  1. Barely any side characters? What a shame...but at least you enjoyed the main characters :)

    Great honest review!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.