Saturday, August 25, 2012

Speechless Review

Author: Hannah Harrington
Release date: August 28, 2012
Pages: 288
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
How I got it: For review through Netgalley 
The story of a girl named Chelsea Knot who takes a voluntary oath of silence after her gossip-mongering ways yield unexpected consequences… 
Saying she’s sorry isn’t enough. 
--------------------
Last year Harrington's debut blew me away, so when I saw Speechless was I Netgalley I immediately snatched it up. Of course I was worried Speechless wouldn't live up to the total perfect that was Saving June, and guys, I was NOT disappointed.

Normally I cannot stand the mean-girl-goes-good story. The mean girls are always so SNOTTY and SHALLOW and think they're better than everyone else, and by the time they go good I am too sick of them to care. Chelsea is the wonderful exception to this rule. I did tolerated her, instead I LOVED HER. I love her sense of humor as much as I love that she recognizes and tries to fix her flaws. Harrington totally took that all-too-common YA cliche and made it her own, and it worked. Hard.

Um, and SAM. And ASHA. And ANDY. I LOVED THEM ALL!

The plot was unlike anything I'd ever heard about before. I mean I cannot even play the quiet game for longer than like two minutes so to not talk at all for how long Chelsea did is unimaginable and only makes her respect her more.

Speechless is so good. It touches on heavy topics like LGTB bullying, the social hierarchy of high school, and not letting other people define you BUT it manages to keep things pretty light and sweet too. You MUST get a copy. Well, as long as you want to be one of the cool kids. Not the cool kids that shop at fancy stores and look down on everyone else, but the REAL cool kids.

Plot: Love.
Characters: LOVE! 
Writing: So freaking good. Harrington is a force to be reckoned with.
Ending: Perfect.
Overall:
Shut up! Can you not tell that I am READING?
I totally devoured this book, and by the time I finished it, it had become one of my favorite books of 2012. I definitely need to get a copy for my shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.