Friday, August 24, 2012

What Are Your Hospital Books?

So, as I have mentioned, I went to the hospital in late April. It was not really a calm, rational decision. No, it required lots of my mother going, "Jessica, do you need to go to the hospital?" and lots of me going, "I don't know," until finally I said yes.

Well, then I stood and we got ready to walk out the door. My friend was with us, and she asked if I needed anything (in a slightly panicky voice because you know her friend was going to the hospital) and I said, "Looking For Alaska." That was the first thing I thought of. Then when she brought it downstairs from my room she asked if there was anything else--because she is a very good friend--and I said, "The Rise of Renegade X."

So I walked into the hospital with nothing but the clothes on my person (which included Beavis and Butt-Head pajama pants, I might add), my mom, and two books in my bag.

It did not dawn on me until a week ago how interesting my decision was to me. How in a split second I picked the two books that gave me the most comfort. Looking For Alaska because of it's philosophical brilliance and stunning characterization, and The Rise of Renegade X for its hilariousness, fantastic plot, and awesome characters. Of course, I never actually got the chance to read either of these two books in the hospital due to an IV in the crook of my left elbow that rendered me one-handed. Still, it says a lot about those two books being the only things I needed in a moment of crisis. It says something about how much I love them and how I they are now with me for the long haul, because I would take these two books* anywhere. I would take them on a lonely journey; I would take them to a deserted island; I would take them to a hospital.

Which made me wonder, dearest readers: What are your "hospital books"?

4 comments:

  1. This is such an interesting question...the first book that pops into my mind is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It's my favourite book from the series, and definitely one of my 'comfort' reads. Paper Towns by John Green is an obvious must for me because it's just wonderful, and really does make me laugh. Those two are my firm choices, I think any other books would depend on what I felt I really needed at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post. Kind of stinks that you couldn't actually read it, though. :P I'd probably bring Wanderlove (Kirsten Hubbard) and Anna and the French Kiss (Stephanie Perkins). Both of these are such great escapism reads and contrary to fantasy/dystopian, they're fairly light-hearted and just fun! And they sucked me in, they weren't just wishy-washy for me. I could get lost in those pages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how in those moments you knew.
    Wow.
    Great story.
    Great question.
    I would probably take A Grown Up Kind of Pretty (it's women who go through crappy things but come through victorious) and something magical like Sugar Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that my sister read The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice while she was in hospital 12 years ago.
    I'd probably liked to read something like Twilight - do not laugh at me! - hospitals are depressing. You just need something cheesy and sappy and pathetic like that.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.