Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Curiosities Review

Authors: Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, Brenna Yovanoff
Release date: October 1, 2012
Pages: 304
Publisher: Carolrhoda Books
How I got it: For review from Netgalley 
From acclaimed YA authors Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff comes The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories. 
- A vampire locked in a cage in the basement, for good luck.- Bad guys, clever girls, and the various reasons why the guys have to stop breathing.- A world where fires never go out (with references to vanilla ice cream).  
These are but a few of the curiosities collected in this volume of short stories by three acclaimed practitioners of paranormal fiction. 
But The Curiosities is more than the stories. Since 2008, Maggie, Tessa, and Brenna have posted more than 250 works of short fiction to their website merryfates.com. Their goal was simple: create a space for experimentation and improvisation in their writing—all in public and without a backspace key. In that spirit, The Curiosities includes the stories and each author's comments, critiques, and kudos in the margins. Think of it as a guided tour of the creative processes of three acclaimed authors. 
So, are you curious now?
Let me start off this review by saying that there are little notes the authors made in the pages, but I was unable to read them on my e-reader, so I might have missed some stuff.



Stories I Liked
Vampire Box by Tessa Gratton
A Murder of Gods by Maggie Stiefvater
The Madness of Lancelot by Brenna Yovanoff
The Wind Takes Our Cries by Maggie Stiefvater
Auburn by Brenna Yovanoff
Puddles by Tessa Gratton
The Bone-Tender by Brenna Yovanoff
Death-Ship by Tessa Gratton
Cut by Brenna Yovanoff
Philosopher's Flight by Maggie Stiefvater
Dumb Supper by Tessa Gratton
Neighbors by Brenna Yovanoff
The Summer Ends In Slaughter by Tessa Gratton
Berserk by Tessa Gratton
Lazarus Girl by Brenna Yovanoff

Stories I was "Eh" About (Most os these ended up confusing me)
Blue As God by Brenna Yovanoff
Thomas All by Tessa Gratton
The Power of Intent by Brenna Yovanoff
A History of Love by Maggie Stiefvater
Girl Raised by Wolves by Brenna Yovanoff
Council of Youth by Maggie Stiefvater
Rain Maker by Maggie Stiefvater

Stories I LOVED
Another Sun by Maggie Stiefvater
Date with a Dragon Slayer by Tessa Gratton
Scheherazade by Brenna Yovanoff
The Deadlier of Species by Maggie Stiefvater
The Last Day of Spring by Maggie Stiefvater
Ash-Tree Spell to Break Your Heart by Tessa Gratton

Overall, this was a really cool look into three awesome author's creative process, especially as the stories were mostly uneditied. I'll definitely need to be buying this one for my shelves so a) I can read the notes and b) I need to re-read the ones I loved. Because I really did LOVE those. I would definitely recommend this one.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great and I love the cover, it's gorgeous! And so many stories, I wouldn't have thought there'd be that many

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.