Friday, March 29, 2013

The Disenchantments Review

I crave more YA fiction like the Disenchantments that don't say "forever" and focus more on the realistic future. More that I find my growing-up-fears in. More books that focus on when teens are suddenly thrust into the world of adulthood.

Because that's where Colby and Bev are. In a beloved van with Bev's band, planning for their European extravaganza that--after years of talking about it--is happening in only a few days.

Well, that's what was supposed to be happening in the van. What happens instead is that Bev tells Colby she's going to college and can't go to Europe with him. Despite his hurt and confusion, somehow Colby gets trapped into staying in the van for the tour while he tries to figure out why Bev's plans changed, and why she's been acting so strange and distant.

So, yeah, this book has pretty much everything you could want: post-graduation planning and stressing, a once relatively average girl turned manicpixiedreamgirl, a horrible girl band, great tattoos. All of that. And it's all tied together by fantastic writing and such longing for a million different things that will make your chest ache.

In case you can't tell, I loved this book. A lot. Partially because it came at just the right time for me, I think, and partially because it's just plain good. The characters and the setting both leap off the page only the way a truly great book can.

I will be rereading this book closer to my graduation. Maybe before, too, and maybe after. You get my point.

Plot: A better-than-average road trip plot, AKA the perfect plot.
Characters: The kind that you remember.
Writing: Awesome. Definitely need to pick up Hold Still.
Ending: Perf.
Mature content: Sexytimes, some language, and drinking.
Overall:
Shut up, I'm reading.
Definitely make time in your life to read this book.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like EXACTLY the type of book I like! I must read it... cool review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.homeschoolclick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.