Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Interview with Jennifer Murgia, Author of Angel Star

If you've read my review of Angel Star, then you know that I really dug it. So today I'm pleased to bring you all an interview with the super-nice author Jennifer Murgia!

Where did you get the idea for Angel Star?

The idea struck me a couple of years ago. I was playing with the idea of an unconditional love from someone you couldn’t be with, yet if that being was a constant presence in your life.

Angel Star is your first published book, congrats! Was it your first finished book?

Thanks! Yes it is.
What would you say makes Angel Star stand out from other young adult angel books?

To me, Angel Star is more than a story. I wrote it with the intention of getting the reader to really think.

Not only is it based on that never-ending battle between light and dark, but it really draws on the battle each person finds within themselves. It covers all bases too, from insecurity, bullying, love, loyalty and temptation – issues we all seem to take for granted or dismiss.

People have begun to say that "angels are the new vampires." Do you think that angels will be around for a while in YA books?

I do. I believe everything runs a cycle though, so I wouldn’t say that vampires are gone forever either. It’s that light vs. dark issue again – angels are light, vampires are dark – it all balances out.

What made you write young adult novels instead of adult ones?

I found something to be lacking in the adult book selection, and then I picked up a YA novel and found that it was the genre for me. There was such a strong pull on how these books made me feel. I tried my hand writing one, couldn’t stop and voila! Angel Star!
What are some of your favorite books?

The Gemma Doyle series – Libba Bray, Sweep series- Cate Tiernan, The Thirteenth Tale – Diane Setterfield – to name a few.

Anything to add?

Thank you so much for having me today! As some of you know, Angel Star had a bit of an early release and I want to thank everyone who has read it so far! Lemniscate won’t be too far behind so please check my website from time to time for updates! www.jennifermurgia.com

Thanks again Jennifer! If you haven't already, then I'd highly recommend planning to grab a copy of Angel Star.
http://www.mylivesignature.com/signatures/85705/bergquistorama/7a79d124891e43155b9d4b2ccb5c72df.png

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this book before. But awesome interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice interview! I can't wait for Angel Star.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview. I love angel books and can't wait to read Angel Star.
    Congrats on your release and good luck with both this book and your next book.

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.