Saturday, March 26, 2011

A Blue So Dark Review

Author: Holly Schindler
Release Date: May 8, 2010
Pages: 288 (PB)
Publisher: Flux
Most Appropriate For Ages: 14+
Where I Got It: From library

Fifteen-year-old Aura Ambrose has been hiding a secret. Her mother, a talented artist and art teacher, is slowly being consumed by schizophrenia, and Aura has been her sole caretaker ever since Aura's dad left them. Convinced that "creative" equals crazy, Aura shuns her own artistic talent. But as her mother sinks deeper into the darkness of mental illness, the hunger for a creative outlet draws Aura toward the depths of her imagination. Just as desperation threatens to swallow her whole, Aura discovers that art, love, and family are profoundly linked—and together may offer an escape from her fears.
With an enticingly emotional plot that was beautifully executed, A Blue So Dark hooked me quickly and I stayed up late into the night to see how Aura's story would close.

Throughout the book I felt nothing but pity for Aura; her mom's a schizophrenic, her dad's abandoned her and her mother, and her best friend is too wrapped up in her new baby to help. But her inner voice isn't self-pitying at all, instead it's wonderfully witty and true. And that's why I loved her.

I was really impressed with Schindler's writing when I read Playing Hurt, and I think I was even more impressed with it this time around. I literally found myself re-reading passages, and thinking how great of a Facebook status it would make.

Full of desperation, hope, love, fear, A Blue So Dark was just...awesome. I really loved it. Read it, k?

Book Report:
Plot: Grabbing.
Characters: Loved all of them. And Jeremy was pretty swoon-y.
Writing: GREAT.
Ending: Perfect.
Kid friendly? There's some swearing, and a teen mom.
Should I read it? Fo SHO.
Overall:
Other reviews:

1 comment:

  1. Loved the review! I recently read Playing Hurt, which I thought was AMAZING, and I'm really looking forward to reading this one. So I'm glad to hear that it's good as well.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.