Friday, October 19, 2012

Far From You Review

Author: Lisa Schroeder
Release date: December 23, 2008
Pages: 355
Publisher: SimonPulse
How I got it: Bought 
Lost and alone...down the rabbit hole. 
Years have passed since Alice lost her mother to cancer, but time hasn't quite healed the wound. Alice copes the best she can by writing her music, losing herself in her love for her boyfriend, and distancing herself from her father and his new wife. 
But when a deadly snowstorm traps Alice with her stepmother and newborn half sister, she'll face issues she's been avoiding for too long. As Alice looks to the heavens for guidance, she discovers something wonderful 
Perhaps she's not so alone after all....
I am a self-proclaimed Lisa Schroeder fangirl, and this is my last book of hers that I hadn't read. It definitely didn't let me down, though it probably was my least favorite of Schroeder's books.

Alice is dealing with two big issues: her mother's death, and her father's new family. Luckily, though, there are some good moments in her life, especially the moments she spends with her boyfriend Blaze. We saw a lot of Alice's personality in those moments, and it really made the book that much better. Also, I love that Blaze was not a jerk like the normal first boyfriend in books.

My main issue with Far From You would have to be how suddenly and totally Alice changes her mind on so many things she once shunned. I understand that any stressful experience can do that to you, but it felt very rushed and unnatural in Far From You's case.

Even with that, Far From You was still a fast, gripping read that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Plot: Emotional and gripping.
Characters: We really only got to know Alice, but I liked her.
Writing: Very good.
Ending: Like I said, kind of rushed and unnatural.
Mature content: Mentions of sex, and some swearing.
Overall:
I'd probably just point at the book and hope you knew what that meant.
I quite liked Far From You. I'm very sad I'm now out of Schroeder books, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments feed the greedy comment-addicted blogger inside of me. Thanks for keeping me going.